Thursday, September 15, 2011

Royal Oil [oil, 12”x12”]

royal oil

Monday felt like a good day to paint but my fatigued brain was void of fresh new ideas…  I retreated to my comfort zone, pulled out one of my fav watercolors, and painted it in oil.  Wow, what a challenge.  It sometimes feels foreign to do the darks first and lights last rather than save my whites/lights until last, as in watercolor.  It was also a big challenge to get splatters in oil – there must be a trick to that.  I may end up going back into this and adding a few more highlights before I call it finished [even tho I signed it :( ]. I suspect some opaque lights in the purple flowers might be cool but I’m thinking it over.  Anyway, here are a couple of shots of the painting in process and my source painting “Royalty”.  Cheers!

royal wip2Yellow ground laid and subject sketched in… royal WIPPart way through…  still needing the highlights.  

1 comment:

  1. I hate it when I feel like being creative and come up blank. I love the splatters.

    ReplyDelete