Monday, January 16, 2012

Free Swing [acrylic, 24”x24”]

IMG_4950

I’ve called this work-in-progress painting “Free Swing” for lack of a better handle. As you can see from the first photo below, I started this one out with just two colors – blue and  transparent red iron oxide.  I wet the canvas first, then drizzled fluid acrylics straight from the bottle and used an atomizer to make the paint run around on the surface.  I took this photo just before I left it to dry. 

IMG_4932The idea for the trees came simply from the vertical paint pattern that the streaks of paint made when they dried.  I used chalk to outline what I hope were pleasing shapes and basically cut around the trees with opaque paint.  The tire swing suggested itself after that coat of paint – there was a section of paint that showed through and I decided to work with it as an opportunity. 

I’m not sure where this one is going but I’ll post an update when I figure it out…  cheers!

0 comments:

Post a Comment