Saturday, February 19, 2011

Expanding [acrylic, 11”x15”]

DSCN4120

Here’s the viewfinder design I used for this painting:DSCN4109 I used Golden’s thalo turquoise & quinacridone crimson, and DiVinci’s quinacridone gold for this painting.  This was started at the same time as “Box Me In?” so that I could go back and forth between the two using the same colors and many of the same mark making tools – stamps, etc.  Here’s how it looked after the first session:

IMG_0222In the second session, I began establishing the darks and lights by simply glazing darks made up of the three colors.    Then I used my number stencil and my trusty stencil brush [a fav I bought back in the 80’s] to make some interesting large areas of the darks and mid values and it looked like this:

DSCN4107I forged ahead and got fiddly whilst keeping the viewfinder pattern in mind.  It was fun to putter along on the details mindlessly.  I call this the meditative stage.  Towards the end of this session, I felt I needed a bit of a grid but not a terribly strong one.  My solution was a curved banned drawn in chalk which I painted up to in places…  sometimes in the curved shape, sometimes around it. 

I’m going to live with this one for a bit before I decide next steps.  Have a great weekend folks!

0 comments:

Post a Comment