Monday, March 21, 2011

Untitled abstract [still WIP on 40”x60” acrylic]

 IMG_0274

I’ve continued to work into this painting in several ways.  I’ve continued some of the patterning but varying the application – thick physical texture [the lightest band], implied texture [paint sponged through a mask], sometimes transparently, sometimes translucently or opaquely.  I also applied a glaze to the background area – varying warmer in some areas, cooler in other places.  This seems to be progressing slowly and I expect to have many more layers of glazes, ending on the cool side. 

As you can see, I played around with a variety of sizes of verticals behind these main lines.  I’m not sure whether this is working or not but I know what I’m going to do next.  The existing elements have somewhat interesting angles and some variety but I need to push those size and angle differences further.  I will link some of the shapes by bringing them closer in value and other shapes will be entirely new. I believe this is where the painting takes over from the viewfinder design - later than I expected actually. 

Big project, big time fun!  However, I’ve got to find a more ergonomically correct painting posture for these larger paintings.  My back gave me some serious trouble for a few days last week…  but on the upside, it settled down quickly too.  Sore is my “normal” but flat on my back on ice? not so much!  The new longer brushes and roller help a ton though!  Where there’s a will, there’s a way!

I’m off to Fairmont tomorrow for a week.  Looking forward to the hot springs and lots of painting time – woot!

0 comments:

Post a Comment