Sunday, June 5, 2011

Big Hill Springs [oil, 9”x12”]

BHSPP waterfall

My plein air adventure continued early today when I met with my fellow painters at Big Hill Springs Provincial Park.  It’s about 35 minutes from my house to BHSPP and yet this is the first time I’ve been there.  WOW!!!  From the parking lot this park looks pretty average…  but climb the Big Hill and you’ll see a series of waterfalls and pools that are gorgeous!  We had a gorgeous day for plein air painting – just the right temperature and good protection from wind.  I painted with the sound of running water in my ears for hours and it did me a world of good.  Also, I did a better job pacing myself today – yesterday was a bit too much standing for my back :(

We arrived [jammed into 3 cars to save parking] before the crowds.  Sharon did a quick tour of the potential plein air sites with some valuable information about when the light would be best at each.  Then a quick demo was followed by a lot of scurrying around to set up and PAINT!  I realized that this waterfall was a bit over my head, but I was so drawn to the sound that I just charged in.  I like the way this feels – it’s long-exposure painting…  so much water charging over those falls, such power!

Although I registered for this workshop weeks ago, today had another focus for me.  Before I began painting I walked around the area by the parking lot where ~760 trees have been planted in memory of a lost family member, including my brother, Chuck Matson.  This event is hosted by McInnis & Holloway Funeral Homes for the families they served last year.  I was sorry to have missed attending the event with my family yesterday. 

Later, as I painted, I visited with dozens of folks taking in the gorgeous sun, sights, sounds, and smells of creation!  They seemed to enjoy watching us paint and chatting.  I certainly enjoyed visiting with them – particularly the children who say the most amazing things about their own art!  I was moved by the symbolism of the new growth and beauty that we are able to find in the midst of our grief.  Today was a day of blessings.

0 comments:

Post a Comment