Monday, July 11, 2011

Eternal [60”x40”, acrylic on canvas]

eternalThis is a piece I’ve been working on and off since March.  Previous posts on this painting were March 18, March 19, March 21, April 28, and April 29th.  Feel free to click through those to see more of the steps and techniques used on this one.

It’s tough to explain the meaning behind a painting – it should speak for itself, right?  But I will say that creating this one has been instrumental in my grieving process since the death of my brother Chuck last fall.  This painting began as a simple 1”x1.5” pattern clipped from a magazine.  Over time the swirls and shapes evolved into symbols of the continuing process of holding on, and letting go of a loved one taken too soon.  The larger, lighter swirl transects the piece from bottom to top, leaving the picture plane and then re-entering it only to exit top right - permanently.  Other bands hold on to the lighter band infinitely, forever. 

The many letters are the prayers, both ours and the folks that have held us up to God over these past 9+ months.  Thank you for those.  Please continue.

Lastly, I’m comforted by 2 Corinthians 5:1 which gives me the hope of visiting Chuck in his new, eternal home sometime in the future.  “For we know that if the tent that is our earthly home is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.”

eternal - detail

I conclude with my niece Jenelle’s very creative poem, Final Checklist [sic]:

Charlie Foxtrot Golf Lemma Alpha, we have taxied out to runway 1-9-2-0 and are holding short until clearance has been granted
Departure is from Springbank Airport with a landing into Heaven at approximately 1:48pm, Friday September 24th 2010.
As always, Jesus will be flying as pilot in command and I will be sitting in co-pilot position
We will be flying at unlimited altitude and beyond perfect weather has been cleared for the flight
Our load is light today as we have left guilt, pain, and sorrow on the ground in order to leave enough room for ample blessings to join us on-board.
Daily inspection has been completed, there are no snags; this flight will go exactly as planned.
Seat-belts have been fastened and we are now prepared for the most amazing flight of our lives.

Roger that:
CFGLA, you are cleared for immediate takeoff…

And now that I’ve got puddles of salty water all over me, I must hie off, change my shirt and retreat into my studio/sanctuary…  blessings to you and yours,

Cheryl

3 comments:

  1. We love this painting cheryl! Thank you so much for all the effort and passion you put into making this beautiful piece of art for us to enjoy in our home.

    We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tiffany, I love you guys too. Thinking of you all, especially the birthday girl, today.

    Thank you Nancy. Nice to have you drop by for a look.

    ReplyDelete