Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Elbow Falls [acrylic, 11”x15”]

elbow falls2Elbow Falls, is about 45 minutes from my home in Calgary.  It’s a great place to go for a picnic as long as you get there before the rest of Calgary.  Every visit provides a slightly different scene, varying with the weather and seasons.  If it wasn’t for my terror of grizzly bears, I would love to tackle some of the easier hiking trails in this area.  Maybe next spring I’ll get my bear spray recertified and head into the hills. 

This acrylic on 140 lb watercolor paper was started transparently and then worked back into with translucent and opaque paint.  The eye sees transparent against opaque very differently.  This is clear in the waterfall…  I did the furthest left water first and then painted the right most water opaquely on top.  The closer opaque water comes forward as I’d hoped it would.  Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment